Elderly man rescued by firefighters from Roy house fire

Save Story
Leer en Español

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

ROY — Firefighters rescued an elderly man who was trapped a short distance from the front door of his burning home Tuesday afternoon.

Firefighters found the man, who was disoriented from smoke inhalation, about 5 to 10 feet from the front door inside the home at 4036 W. 5700 South, said Roy Fire Capt. Chase Stark. The fire was reported around 3:30 p.m.

The man, who was the only person at home, was taken to McKay-Dee Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation and a reaggravated hip injury he suffered while getting out of his bed to escape the fire, Stark said.

The fire started in the kitchen and likely ignited because of electrical issues arising from extension cords and space heaters, the captain said. The kitchen sustained heavy fire damage, while the rest of the home was damaged by smoke. Stark estimated repairs would cost between $25,000 and $30,000.

About 20 crew members from the Weber Fire District and the Roy, Ogden and Clinton fire departments extinguished the fire.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Ben Lockhart


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast