Find a list of your saved stories here

Pets killed, house destroyed in massage oil explosion


4 photos
Save Story

Save stories to read later


Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

MURRAY — A home was destroyed and three pets died in an explosion and house fire Monday night.

The homeowner, a massage therapist, was cooking up massage oils that "boiled over and exploded," Murray Deputy Fire Marshal Pat Killion said. The blast blew out the kitchen windows and set the house ablaze.

"It's total destruction," Killion said.

The home near 400 East and Winchester St. is a total loss.

The explosion happened when the woman had left the stove and was in another area of the house, saving her from injury. The family escaped the house unharmed, but three pets were trapped inside and died, Killion said.

Killion said firefighters are unsure what was in the massage oils that caused them to explode.

The fire burned out quickly, Killion said. Crews put out spot fires and doused hot spots when they arrived.

The Utah Department of Transportation shut down Winchester Street by the home as crews responded to the fire. The road was expected to reopen by 10 p.m.

Photos

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Utah
McKenzie Romero

    STAY IN THE KNOW

    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast