2 taken into custody in Henefer after police pursuit; man identified

10 photos
Save Story

Show 2 more videos

Leer en español

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

HENEFER, Summit County — Police officers took a man and a woman into custody Friday afternoon after the man brandished a gun during a pursuit, officials said.

A deputy in Morgan County pulled over Jared York, 27, in Morgan County for a standard traffic violation check at about 2 p.m. and found the man had an active warrant in the Third District Court for assault with substantial bodily injury, according to Sgt. Ron Bridge with the Summit County Sheriff's Office.

When the deputy attempted to take York into custody, he put his car into drive and took off going eastbound on I-84, Bridge said.

After a brief pursuit that led into Summit County, the chase was terminated by the investigating deputy. During the pursuit, police shut down part of I-84 near the Henefer Interchange, Bridge said.

"They didn't continue the chase because they knew who he was and could get him on another day," Bridge said. "They notified us that he was coming into our county, and essentially he just got off the road here in Henefer and decided to walk through the streets of Henefer where we eventually engaged him and a foot pursuit began."

Before the foot pursuit began, police sent out a reverse 911 system, notifying locals that York was possibly in the vicinity, and shortly after, they got a call from a local business owner, who said they saw York walking down Main Street, Bridge said.

Summit County deputies went to the area and spotted York running northeast into the river bottoms of the Weber River. Police chased him from Main Street down to the freeway.

During the foot chase, York took a gun from his waitband and pointed it toward the officers who also pulled out guns, Bridge said. Three shots were fired by two Summit County deputies, but no one was injured during the incident, Bridge said.

Officers then cornered him and he put his gun to his own head in a threat to commit suicide. Police officers convinced him to put the gun down and took him safely into custody, Bridge said.

Bridge also said that an adult female passenger was a passenger in the vehicle, and she was "detained as an involved party."

Not charges have yet been brought against either York of the female passenger, but Bridge said the investigation is ongoing and any charges are forthcoming.

Contributing: Martha Ostergar and Andrew Adams


Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Megan Marsden Christensen


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast