This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
RENO, Nev. (AP) — Health officials say they're investigating two possible measles cases near Reno and are confirming another in Clark County. Authorities said Monday that unvaccinated people should stay away from Spanish Springs Elementary School near Reno to avoid possible exposure as a student's diagnosis is confirmed. Another person may have infected co-workers at a separate, undisclosed workplace. Meanwhile, southern Nevada health officials say another case confirmed last week and disclosed Tuesday isn't thought to be connected with other infections.
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A former Nevada lawmaker whose arrests and expulsion from the Legislature drew intense interest two years ago has been sentenced to three years' probation on a felony gun charge. A judge in Las Vegas told Steven Brooks he'll spend the first six months in intensive supervision to ensure he remains sober, takes prescription medications and obtains mental health evaluation and treatment. The probation runs concurrent with a separate three-year probation sentence in a domestic violence case.
CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) — A bill in the Nevada Legislature would allow schools to hold off on standardized tests until students have a certain number of instructional days under their belt, rather than taking a one-size-fits-all approach with the test date. SB75 was discussed yesterday in the Senate Committee on Education. It was requested by the Clark County School District. Existing law calls for the state education board to set a springtime test date that would apply to all Nevada schools.
RENO, Nev. (AP) — A 37-year-old Fallon man originally sentenced to death after he was convicted of murdering and stealing $89 from a Reno cab driver in 1997 has now been sentenced to life in prison without parole. A Washoe District Court jury unanimously sentenced Shawn Harte yesterday to life without the possibility of parole. Judge Connie Steinheimer added a second, consecutive life sentence for using a deadly weapon in the killing of John Castro Jr.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.