Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
SYDNEY (AP) — Two more people have run out of a building in Sydney where a hostage situation has been unfolding. The women appear to be employees of the chocolate shop and cafe where the hostages have been held since Monday morning. The women were wearing aprons with the Lindt chocolate logo. Earlier, three other people fled the building by going through a fire exit.
HONG KONG (AP) — Hong Kong police are pulling down barricades and folding up tents at the third and final pro-democracy protest camp. Police had told the protesters to leave "immediately" from the short stretch of road in Causeway Bay, but a small group of protest leaders chanted "we will be back." This past week authorities shut down the protesters' main camp near the heart of the city's financial district and arrested 249 people who refused to leave for unlawful assembly.
QUITO, Ecuador (AP) — Thirteen people are dead in a sudden collapse at the site of Ecuador's largest-ever infrastructure project. The Chinese embassy in Quito confirms that 10 Ecuadorean and three Chinese workers were killed over the weekend at the construction site of the Coca Codo Sinclair hydroelectric power plant deep in Ecuador's Amazon. The embassy describes the accident as a "collapse in a pressure well."
MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) — The number of homes and businesses still without power in Vermont has dropped to fewer than 900. Some 100,000 customers were without service at the peak of last week's storm when heavy, wet snow brought down power lines across the state. Parts of Vermont received more than a foot of snow Tuesday and Wednesday, causing the worst power outages in years.
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A federal appeals court will reconsider a decision to order YouTube to take down an anti-Muslim film clip that sparked violence in the Middle East and death threats to the actors. In February, a divided three-judge panel ruled that actress Cindy Lee Garcia had a copyright claim to the 2012 video because she believed she was acting in a much different production than the one that appeared. Garcia said she believed she was acting in a film that had nothing to do with religion and that her voice had been dubbed over.