This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo says the blockbuster storm that smacked Buffalo last month cost more than $46 million, surpassing the threshold for federal emergency aid.
State and local government officials had worried the storm that dumped more than 7 feet of snow in some areas wouldn't meet the $27.3 million Federal Emergency Management Agency threshold for reimbursement.
Cuomo said Thursday that state and local governments had more than $46.6 million in response costs and verified infrastructure damage from Nov. 18 through Nov. 26.
The governor requested that a major disaster declaration be issued for Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Genesee, Jefferson, Lewis, Orleans, St. Lawrence and Wyoming counties.
More than 370 structures sustained roof damage from the snow and 38 structures were destroyed. The storm is blamed for 14 deaths.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.