News / Utah / 

Child playing with matches blamed for house fire

Child playing with matches blamed for house fire

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

(KSL News) A 6-year-old Syracuse girl who was playing with matches accidentally lit her family's home on fire today.

Her grandmother, Geneva Poulson, said, "We're mighty thankful that they're alive and well, not burned."

Fire officials say the girl lit a bed on fire in an upstairs bedroom and then ran to get her 14-year-old brother, who also was home at the time. The two ran across the street to a neighbor's house and called 911.

When crews arrived at the home near 3400 West and 2200 South, they quickly put out the blaze. But it destroyed nearly everything upstairs.

Child playing with matches blamed for house fire

"They do need help," Poulson said. "They're both working as hard as they can. They've lost it now."

"The only thing I can say," Poulson continued, "is you can replace material things, but life you can't. As far as fire, fire has no mercy on no one. They could have been killed."

Poulson said the family was renting the home and may have renter's insurance. Damage is estimated at between $60,000 and $80,000, mostly on the second floor of the home.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast