News / Utah / 

Lawsuit filed after e-cigarette explodes


This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY — A Salt Lake County man suffered severe injuries when an e-cigarette exploded in his face, according to a federal lawsuit filed Monday.

Ronald D. Boren claims the Prodigy V3.1 electronic cigarette unexpectedly blew up while he used it at his home in February 2013. The explosion sent burning debris and battery acid into his mouth, face and eyes and caught his hair on fire, the lawsuit says.

An ambulance took Boren to University Hospital where he spent nearly 10 days.

Boren bought the device in October 2011 online at from Pure Enterprises based in Goodlettsville, Tennessee. The company apparently went out of business last year.

The lawsuit seeks damages for medical care and treatment, lost wages, pain, suffering, disability, disfigurement, anxiety, depression, loss of enjoyment of life, loss of the use of his home as well as punitive damages.

A Colorado man sued Pure Enterprises in 2012 when the same model of e-cigarette exploded in his face. His attorneys have also signed on to Boren's case.

Related Stories

Dennis Romboy


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast