News / Utah / 

Wanship fire destroys structure


10 photos

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

WANSHIP, Summit County —An extension cord was the origin of a barn fire that caused about $150,000 damage Tuesday and resulted in the loss of some animals.

About 5 a.m., fire crews were called to a report of a barn fire, 29731 Old Lincoln Highway, and arrived to find the structure fully engulfed.

Damage was estimated at $120,000 total for the barn and $30,000 for its contents. While most animals escaped, fire officials said some chickens and geese may have been killed. An estimated 800 bales of hay were also lost.

Because of the amount of water it took to fight the fire, officials warned Wanship residents that their water supply may be diminished Tuesday.

The Utah State Fire Marshall's Office traced the fire's origins to an extension cord used to power a water trough heater.

While there is no threat of the fire spreading, officials said residents might see smoke coming off of it for several days.

Contributing: Marc Giauque and Mary Richards

Photos

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Utah
Pat Reavy

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast