Lockdown lifted after false report of gunman at McKay-Dee Hospital

4 photos
Save Story

Show 2 more videos

Leer en español

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

OGDEN — A verbal threat at McKay-Dee Hospital caused the hospital to be put on lockdown briefly Wednesday afternoon.

Early Wednesday afternoon, a female patient seeking medical attention at McKay-Dee Hospital threatened that she had a gun and was ready to kill people, according to eyewitnesses. The hospital immediately responded with a lockdown, Ogden police said.

"It was a threat, it was a comment that was made in a threatening manner," said Ogden Lt. Danielle Croyle.

At 2:23 p.m., hospital staff and patients heard an announcement over the intercom about a "shooter in the building."

"Frantically and scared, the nurses got everybody out of the hallway and got them into the rooms," said eyewitness Steve Eyre. "(The woman) said she had a gun in her possession, and she was ready to scramble around and shoot everybody and kill everybody."

Police were also called about an active shooter and responded quickly, but no shooting occurred at the hospital, Croyle said.

"It's as serious as it gets. We had immediate action teams respond to the hospital. We also put it out to the area jurisdictions. He had South Ogden, Roy, and Riverdale that also responded in an expedited manner," Croyle said.

Within moments of officers' arrival, the person was located. The lockdown was lifted shortly after. Nobody was injured and the person who made the threatening comment was not armed.

"We take the safety of our patients, guests, and employees very seriously and respond to all threats in accordance with our protocols," McKay-Dee wrote.

Croyle said the incident is still under investigation and police are not sure why the call was given as an active shooter situation.

"Even though it was a false alarm, the response was exceptional," Croyle said.

No update was available about the individual.


Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Celeste Tholen Rosenlof and Jed Boal


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast