News / Utah / 

7,200-volt shock leaves construction worker in serious condition

By Pat Reavy | Posted - Sep 5th, 2013 @ 5:34pm

26 photos

LAYTON — A construction worker was hospitalized Thursday after a 7,200 volt wire came in contact with a backhoe.

About 10 a.m. near the area of East Gentile and Chapel Streets, construction crews were off-loading a backhoe from a trailer, said Layton fire spokesman Doug Bitton.

As the machine was being unloaded, the boom came in contact with a power line overhead, he said. The current traveled through the backhoe and onto the street where one of the workers was standing nearby.

The voltage blew off a manhole cover, started several small grass fires, severed the power pole and knocked out power to the area, Bitton said.

The worker was conscious and sitting up when emergency crews arrived, but he was transported to McKay-Dee Hospital Center in serious condition.

Additional information will be posted as it becomes available.


Pat Reavy

KSL Weather Forecast