CLEARFIELD — Following a fire that badly damaged the Clearfield Community Church and destroyed the church youth group's fundraising garage sale items, the community rallied together to help the kids.
Last month, fire ravaged the church building that had been a community fixture since 1945. The fire occurred around 3 p.m. Tuesday, March 19. Nobody was injured.
In addition to badly damaging the historic building, the fire destroyed a number of garage sale items that the church youth group was going to sell to raise money for summertime activities, including a mission trip to Native American reservations in Wyoming.
Since the fire, the community has reached out to the Clearfield Community Church congregation members to help them hold a garage sale, despite their loss of goods and location.
Saturday, hundreds of people turned out for the garage sale at the Clearfield LDS Stake Center.
"I think it's a great experience especially for our kids, to have these adults that they don't even know, that go to different churches, that are part of the different denominations, are coming together and helping them," said Laura Phillips, Clearfield Community Church missions ministry chairperson.
Philips said she was "shocked" at the amount of money that was raised Saturday.
"I think it will honestly teach us something, that we can all work together no matter what, and we will get through tough times together," said Chambree Crockett, 15, a Clearfield Community Church member. "There's always hope."