This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
SALT LAKE CITY — If you're looking for a great meal under 500 calories, Intermountain Health Care's Your Life, Your Health initiative has the answer.
Every Monday KSL is cooking up a healthy recipe as part of the initiative. Monday Chef Josh Taylor of LDS Hospital shared the recipe for Chicken Carbonara. Play the video to see it.
8 oz. whole wheat Spaghetti
½ gallon water
½ tsp. olive oil
1 oz. yellow onion, diced
1 tsp. garlic, chopped
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 1/3 cup 1% low-fat milk
½ cup chicken broth
1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground white pepper
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
5 slice cooked bacon, diced
¾ tsp. garlic, chopped
¼ cup fresh basil
½ cup green peas, frozen
20 oz. pre-cooked grilled chicken
¼ tsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. walnut halves & pieces, toasted
1 Tbsp. parsley, chopped
- Heat water to a rolling boil; add pasta, oil and salt; cook until Al dente. Hold hot.
- Sauté onion and garlic in the olive oil until light brown.
- Add milk, chicken broth, flour, salt and pepper over low heat until smooth and thick.
- Continue to cook over medium low heat, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens; stir in parmesan cheese.
- Heat the cooked bacon and garlic in a pan until bacon is crisp. Add chopped basil.
- Add the lite Alfredo, peas and the pasta; toss to coat.
- Fan chicken to the left side of the pasta.
- Sprinkle with toasted chopped walnuts, black pepper and chopped parsley.