Kitchen, attic destroyed in house fire

15 photos
Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY — A fire destroyed the kitchen and attic of a house Friday night, but the home's three occupants were able to get to safety before fire crews arrived.

The fire broke out just before 10 p.m. in the kitchen of the home, located near 500 North and 1100 West. After extinguishing the fire on the main floor, firefighters determined that flames had spread into the attic, said Jasen Asay, Salt Lake City Fire Department spokesman. The fire was fully extinguished before damage was done to other rooms or the roof of the house.

No one was injured in the fire, though a woman and her adult son were asleep when the fire started, Asay said. Another adult son woke them and ran to a neighbor's house to call 911.

Firefighters said the cause of the fire was an electrical problem.


Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast