News / Utah / 

Fire does $100K in damage to Bountiful home

By Stephanie Grimes | Posted - Nov 30th, 2012 @ 1:14pm


11 photos

BOUNTIFUL — A family is hoping to return home soon after a fire gutted their garage Thursday night, leaving the structure unstable.

The fire started at about 7 p.m. at 3013 S. 100 West in Bountiful. An appliance tripped a breaker, and during efforts to fix it, the three occupants of the house smelled smoke. They went room to room and eventually found that the two-story garage in the back of their home was on fire.

"He said when he opened the door, the whole garage was on fire," South Davis Metro Fire Department's Jeff Bassett said.

The man closed the garage door and all three occupants left the house before calling the fire department. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire, which was venting through windows and the roof, before it reached other areas of the house.

Bassett said 19 firefighters assisted in fighting the blaze and there were no injuries. Because of the wind, a crew stayed through the night to ensure that there were no flare-ups. The occupants of the house are staying with family and friends until they can return home.

Damage is estimated to be about $100,000, according to Bassett. He said closing the door to the garage helped prevent further damage.

"That is the most critical part — closing the door," he said. "It slows down the progression of the fire and could keep it from spreading to other parts of the house."

Photos

Stephanie Grimes

KSL Weather Forecast

Updated: Friday July 20, 2018 6:38 am