News / Utah / 

Fire causes $350,000 in damage to Provo home


20 photos

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

PROVO — Firefighters quickly contained a house fire Sunday afternoon.

Homeowner Kenneth N. Cutler returned from church around 11 a.m. and smelled smoke in the home. He searched for the origin but could not find it.

About an hour later he checked again before leaving for a family party.

"Right before I left I said, 'I wonder if its electrical,'" Cutler said. "So then I went and looked around several of the places in the house and tried to feel for heat in the walls on the south end of the house and there was no problem there."

Cutler said there did not to seem to be any fire when they left again at about 12:15 p.m.

Shortly thereafter, neighbors called 911. Crews arrived and were able to put out the fire within ten minutes.

Batallion Chief Jeremy Craft said crews were able to contain the fire to a closet off of a bedroom where the fire originated.

"There's not an obvious cause at this time," Craft said.

Crews had difficulty dealing with the vaulted ceilings in containing the blaze. it also burned into the attic space, making containment difficult.

But Craft said the Provo foremen did an excellent job and had the fire out quickly.

A small dog was in the house at the time of the blaze, but no occupants were home and there were no injuries.

The fire caused approximately $350,000 in damage.

Photos

David Self Newlin

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast