This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
SALT LAKE CITY — A poorly connected hose resulted in nearly 2,000 gallons of high-concentrate sulfuric acid being spilled at a chemical distribution company Friday afternoon.
The extremely corrosive substance was being transferred off of a rail car near 2334 W. Director's Row (about 1150 S.). An improperly connected hose resulted in the spill.
Employees of the company, Brenntag, self-evacuated from the area, which was also closed down to traffic. The employees were examined by medical responders, and no employees were transported to the hospital.
The spill was limited to a 20-foot by 8-foot area, according to the Salt Lake City Fire Department. An emergency response company was called in to clean up the spill once HazMat crews determined the contaminated area was secure.