News / Utah / 

Suspect in Trolley Square Case to Remain in Custody

Suspect in Trolley Square Case to Remain in Custody



Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

(KSL News) A man accused of helping to arrange the sale of the gun to the Trolley Square shooter will remain in custody until his trial date.

MacKenzie Hunter was arrested last week after violating conditions of his pretrial release, which was granted in May.

In court today, he admitted to not attending drug treatment, testing positive for marijuana and not doing drug tests.

The judge pointed out that Hunter was too busy texting on his phone during his visits with his probation officer. He said the probation officer gave Hunter lots of rope, which he used for one purpose: to hang himself.

Assistant U.S. Attorney John Huber said, "From the judge's ruling today, I think that's what the judge's assessment was; that he doesn't get it and he needs to get it. Everybody else does in the community. Why doesn't Mr. Hunter?"

Suspect in Trolley Square Case to Remain in Custody

Hunter and three other men were indicted in May on federal charges of illegally selling weapons to Sulejman Talovic or lying to investigators.

Talovic went on a shooting rampage at Trolley Square on February 12, killing five people and injuring four others before he was shot and killed by police.

Suspect in Trolley Square Case to Remain in Custody

Related links

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Utah

SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast