Woman killed, husband in critical condition in apparent murder-suicide attempt

17 photos
Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SOUTH JORDAN — The apparent murder-suicide attempt of a Riverton couple was still under investigation Tuesday, as South Jordan police continued to speak with family members to try to determine what happened.

A woman was found dead at the scene, and her husband remains in extremely critical condition and ended up being flown by medical helicopter to an area hospital and undergoing surgery following the botched attempt at South Jordan City Park.

The Riverton couple, identified as Douglas Irwin, 51, and Jana Lynn Irwin, 46, were shot in the head around 12:30 p.m. Tuesday outside a pavilion at the park near 11000 S. Redwood Road, said South Jordan Police Lt. Rob Hansen.

"We couldn't get any vitals on the female. The male was breathing," Hansen said.

Police found a small caliber handgun near the man and witnesses reported hearing two shots fired.

Prior to the shootings, two adults were sitting in a nearby pavilion when the couple walked in, sat down and began having a conversation. Witnesses said there was no indication the two were arguing.

"There were no red flags. There didn't appear to be anything wrong," Hansen said.

After the two got up to walk toward the parking lot, the two adults in the pavilion said they heard two gunshots a short time later. Hansen said they did not witness the shooting.

Police later said there were no obvious witnesses to the crime.

"Oddly enough, there was nobody else in the park at the time," said South Jordan police Sgt. Elyse Charter.

Tuesday afternoon, a white sheet covered the woman's body near a pine tree as investigators surveyed the crime scene. A nearby SUV was believed to belong to the couple. Hansen said detectives were looking at the vehicle's registration to determine who owned it.

The investigation into the woman's death is ongoing. No criminal charges had been filed as of Tuesday evening.

Written by Pat Reavy with contributions from Sandra Yi.



Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Pat Reavy


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast