This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
ST. GEORGE, Utah (AP) -- A home in St. George was damaged by a fire started when the owner was trying to burn weeds from the yard in the fireplace.
Police also arrested a male living in the home on unrelated charges.
The man was arrested on suspicion of charges of being an unregistered sex offender and marijuana possession.
Fire chief Robert Stoker says the home sustained extensive fire damage from the ceiling through the attic. He says the blaze started when embers from the fire burning in the fireplace escaped through the chimney and landed on the shake-shingled roof.
He says the homeowner told the fire department they were cleaning weeds from around their yard and burning them in the fireplace.
There were no injuries in the fire.
Information from: The Spectrum, http://www.thespectrum.com
(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)