This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
PROVO, Utah (AP) -- The woman killed in an Oct. 18 apartment fire has been identified as the renter, Linda Ungricht.
The remains were positively identified by a DNA sample, Provo Fire Chief Coy Porter said.
The cause of death was smoke inhalation, he said.
Investigators believe the fire was started by a cigarette the woman was smoking in her bedroom, which was where the body was found.
The blaze caused the ceiling to collapse, and that had hampered firefighters efforts in recovering the woman's badly burned body.
The untidy condition of the apartment, which was not legally permitted as a rental living space, with bedding, papers and other materials strewn about, contributed to the fast spread of the fire, Porter said.
The apartment did not have smoke detectors.
(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)