Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
WEST JORDAN -- A father and his five young children escaped safely when their house caught fire.
Firefighters say the man was in the garage in the 3500 West block of Foxton Circle (about 7200 South) when the lights started flickering around 8:30 p.m. Monday. The man sensed something was wrong, went inside the house and found a fire burning in the kitchen.
"At that time there were four children in the upstairs of the house and an infant in the basement. He proceeded to get them out of the house and called 911," says Battalion Chief Reed Scharman of the West Jordan Fire Department.
No one was injured.
Firefighters doused the fire quickly but had to rip open some walls and the ceiling to make sure the flames were extinguished.
The home is not livable. No word yet on the cause of the fire.