This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
SALT LAKE CITY -- A child was seriously hurt Thursday afternoon after falling from a second-story window. Now police are putting out the warning to other parents.
Police say this was just a very tragic accident. It happened when 3-year-old was with his parents and older brother inside an apartment in the area of 1200 North and Redwood Road.
The parents were cleaning the apartment, getting it ready for some new tenants. Police say they were using some harsh chemicals, so they opened a window to air the place out.
The child pushed on the screen, which gave way, and he fell about 15 feet and landed on the concrete below. He landed on his head and suffered some bruises on his face and his head, but he was crying and conscious when he was taken to the hospital.
The open window was within the child's reach, only about a foot or so off the floor. The accident has police reminding parents about window safety.
"Make sure the screens are properly affixed to the window. And if the window is low to the ground and you have little ones, I would open up other windows if you need to air things out, or for ventilation. Open a window that's higher off the ground," says Salt Lake City police Sgt. Jeff Webb.
Police say a family friend who was in the apartment jumped out after the boy. He hurt his foot, but he's expected to be OK.