News / Utah / 

Man convicted of 1988 rape to stand trial again

Posted - Feb. 17, 2010 at 12:38 p.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY -- A man convicted of rape two decades ago will once again stand trial on the charges.

The Salt Lake Tribune reports that Carl McClellan had already completed his sentence for the 1988 rape of an American Fork girl when his conviction was overturned by the Utah Supreme Court last year.

Now, prosecutors say they will re-file the charges.

McClellan says he welcomes the chance to clear his name -- since he was always maintained he did not commit the crime.

In 1988, McClellan, then 23, claimed to have met a 19-year-old recent high school graduate on a door-to-door sales call. The victim later told police he came back into her home and raped her. If a retrial occurs, the victim's family says it would be difficult to endure.

SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast