Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes
Arts Specialist Carole Mikita reportingAs the first anniversary of the 2002 Winter Olympic Games approaches, Salt Lake and surrounding communities are preparing to celebrate.
Over the next 10 days, communities in Northern Utah will commemorate the experience -- the time when either the world came here or was watching -- calling it Winterfest.
Tonight, for one musical group, it will be a time of nostalgia. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir was a hit at the Opening Ceremony. The members will, this evening, record Olympic music titled "Light the Fire Within" for a ceremony close to the end of this year's celebrations.
Just like the Olympics, Winterfest will be a combination of athletic competitions, arts events and community participation.
These events begin tomorrow, January 29, and continue through February 9. Here are some of the activities:
- Freestyle Skiing World Championships, Jan. 29 - Feb 1 at Deer Valley
- Midway/Soldier Hollow Winter Festival, Jan 30 - Feb. 1 & 3 at Soldier Hollow
- Temple Square's Christmas Lights Return, Jan 30 - Feb. 9
- Ice Event for Area Schoolchildren, Feb. 6 at Peaks Ice Arena in Provo
- Spirit of the West Festival, Feb. 7-8 in Ogden
- SLOC Cauldron Lighting and Fireworks, Feb. 8 at Rice-Eccles Stadium And on Feb. 9, the Interfaith Roundtable will sponsor a musical tribute to the human spirit at the Salt Lake Tabernacle at 7:30 p.m.