Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
Sandra Yi Reporting As we continue to work the story of the Trolley Square tragedy we've uncovered new information about the gunman. Sulejmen Talovic was prepared for a mass killing. That's based on what police found in Sulejmen Talovic's backpack which he had with him when he opened fire inside Trolley Square mall.
Police today revealed the teenage gunman had more than 90 shotgun rounds inside that backpack. He was armed with a shotgun and a handgun.
Police also tell us Talovic legally bought that shotgun from an undisclosed Salt Lake City store on November 13 of last year. They are still investigating how and where Talovic got the handgun. Investigators have said that Talovic fired both weapons during his rampage last Monday night.
They say the evidence speaks to Talovic's mindset that night.
Det. Jeff Bedard, Salt Lake City Police Dept.: "You look at the devastation that just one round of shotgun ammunition can cause, and you multiply that by 90 ... we had the potential for this to turn out a whole lot worse than it did."
Five people were killed and fours others injured, before police shot and killed Talovic. Police won't say what they seized from the teenager's home. But Talovic's aunt told KSL Newsradio that on the night of the shooting, police took a video tape, Talovic's cell phone and a box that held the shotgun he used in the shooting.
However, police tell us that nothing found in the house leads them to a motive.