Wildcats keep slim playoff hopes alive with 47-14 win

Wildcats keep slim playoff hopes alive with 47-14 win

Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

OGDEN -- On a day where the Weber State Wildcat Football program said goodbye to 19 Wildcat seniors, the seniors did everything they could to keep the team's playoff hopes alive with a 47-14 blowout victory over the Cal Poly Mustangs.

Wildcat quarterback Cameron Higgins threw for 364 yards and four touchdowns, while wide receiver Tim Toone had 11 receptions and three touchdowns to lead the offense. Toone's 11th and final reception of the game, gave him an even 200 for his Weber State career.

On the defensive side of the ball the Wildcats were able to force three turnovers and were led by linebacker Taylor Sedillo, who had ten tackles. Nick Webb was right behind him with nine, followed by Caldwell Taylor with seven, and Kevin Linehan pitched in with six.

Cal Poly took the early lead at 7-0 when quarterback Tony Smith connected with receiver David Mahr on a 28 yard pass with just over eleven minutes left in the first quarter. The only other scoring the Mustangs would do on the afternoon took place in the third quarter, when Smith connected with Jordan Yocum on a 12 yard touchdown pass. Other than that, the Wildcats did all the scoring.

Weber State running back Bo Bolen evened the score in the first quarter when he caught a 15-yard touchdown pass from Higgins to knot the game at 7-7. The Wildcat offense would have a huge second quarter. Running back Trevyn Smith, who had 109 yards on the day, scampered in from three yards out to give the ‘Cats a 14-7 lead.

Tim Toone then caught touchdown passes of 26 and 17 yards from Higgins to put the game pretty well out of reach at 28-7. Smith once again cross the goal line on a nine-yard run with a little over three minutes left in the quarter to give the ‘Cats a 35-7 advantage. Then right before halftime, Wildcat kicker Mike Snoy got in on the action kicking a 30-yard field goal to put the game farther out of reach at 38-7 going into the half.

Snoy added another field goal in the fourth quarter and Toone once again hooked up with Higgins on a 44-yard touchdown pass and the game was over as the Wildcats finished off the route at 47-14 and ran the victory bell for Head Coach Ron McBride's 120th career victory, a career that has spanned over 18 years.

Now, all the Wildcats can do is wait and see if the FCS Playoff Committee is going to extend their season or put an end to it when the playoff match-ups are announced Sunday afternoon.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast