Former Harrisville Police Official Dies of Apparent Overdose

Former Harrisville Police Official Dies of Apparent Overdose

Save Story
Leer en EspaƱol

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

RIVERDALE, Utah (AP) -- A former Harrisville police official believed to have robbed pharmacies in Weber and Davis counties over the weekend has been found dead of an apparent overdose.

The body of Dave Miner, 38, was found at a house Monday, along with three OxyContin bottles and a robbery note. The body was found by a friend who notified police.

Riverdale police Lt. Paige Ansley said one of the bottles was empty.

It was not known whether the death was accidental or suicide.

"He was such a nice guy, very sharp, very glib, very knowledgeable, very capable," said Harrisville Police Chief Max Jackson, who worked with Miner for years. "This is one of the worst travesties I can think of. The thing that's so tragic here is how (addiction) can take over someone's life."

The pills were believed to have been taken in a robbery at a Riverdale ShopKo around 5 p.m. Sunday in which Miner reportedly produced a note demanding OxyContin while implying he had a gun.

It's believed Miner attempted a robbery using a note at a Layton Albertson's Saturday afternoon, but received nothing from the pharmacist, who didn't believe he actually had a gun, Layton Police Lt. Kevin Allred said.

Police did not suspect Miner was the robber until his body and the robbery note were found.

Miner resigned from his detective position with Harrisville in September 2002.

An officer since 1988, Miner was appointed acting chief in 1994 when then-chief Tom Hill resigned. He held that position until March 1995 when Jackson took over, and appointed Miner his assistant chief, the same position he held under Hill.

In 1996, Miner moved to Seattle to take a job in private security. He returned to Harrisville in 2000 and was hired as a patrolman. He also worked short stints with Pleasant View police and the Weber County Sheriff's Office.

Since resigning, the Davis High School graduate had worked as a bouncer at an Ogden nightclub.

It's unknown when Miner became dependent on painkillers.

Attorney Roy Cole, who represented Miner on charges of domestic violence and violating a protective order, said, "I knew he was hurting, but I didn't know it was this bad.

"He was one of the best cops I've ever seen. Ask any defense attorney and they'll say the same. He was a neat guy, always trying to do the best for other people, but he always had some heavy-duty ghosts dogging him," Cole said.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast