Family of Marine Awaits Confirmation

Family of Marine Awaits Confirmation

Save Story
Leer en EspaƱol

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

WEST JORDAN, Utah (AP) -- The family of a U.S. Marine abducted in Iraq stayed out of the public eye Tuesday in this Salt Lake City suburb after a relative in Lebanon said he had been freed.

Cpl. Wassef Ali Hassoun, a translator with the Marines in Iraq, disappeared on June 20. On Saturday a militant group claimed it had beheaded him, a claim that was later denied.

On Tuesday, a brother of the Lebanon-born Marine said the family was confident he was well.

"We have received reliable information the guy is free," Sami Hassoun told The Associated Press from the northern Lebanese city of Tripoli, where the missing Marine has family.

Though he had not spoken with his brother, Sami Hassoun said "we received a sign from my brother reassuring us."

There was no immediate response to calls seeking comment from Wassef Ali Hassoun's family in West Jordan or from family spokesman Tarek Nosseir.

There were no signs of activity at the Hassouns' home. Window blinds were drawn and about 30 American flags and a Marine flag were planted in the well-tended lawn.

Television camera crews waited outside a media encampment across the street and news media trucks were parked around the neighborhood.

On Monday, a group calling itself Islamic Response had said in a statement sent to Al-Jazeera television that he was safe and had promised not to return to the American military.

"We pray that the news of his safe release is true," Nosseir said Monday. "If he is still in captivity, we remind the captors of the saying of our beloved prophet: Be merciful to those on earth, mercy will descend upon you from heaven."

The family had been grieving since Saturday, when a militant group claiming to be the Ansar al-Sunna Army said on a Web site that it had beheaded the 24-year-old Marine. But the group said Sunday it did not issue the statement, and a posting on another Internet site said Hassoun was alive.

Hassoun, educated at American schools in his native Lebanon before moving to the Salt Lake City area, was serving his second stint in Iraq as a translator fluent in Arabic, French and English.

Other militant groups have captured and threatened to behead other foreign Muslim hostages, creating an uproar among many Muslims, including other militants. All the captured Muslims aside from Hassoun have been released unharmed.

Hassoun's father, Ali Hassoun, who lives in Tripoli, Lebanon, repeatedly pleaded for his son's release. He and his other sons have contacted politicians and Muslim clerics in Lebanon and Islamist groups in Iraq in hopes of securing the Marine's release.

"We renew our request of all people of the world to continue to pray for his safe release," said Nosseir, who has spoken for Hassoun's brother, Mohammed, and family in West Jordan.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast