SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Public health officials have discovered the first Utah case of hantavirus this year in a Sevier County man.
The man is expected to fully recover, however, and was recently discharged from the hospital, according to the Central Utah Public Health Division.
The exposure occurred in June, though officials are unsure where it happened.
Hantavirus is a potentially lethal virus that can be transmitted to humans by inhaling particles from droppings from infected deer mice. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about 38 percent of the people who contract the virus die.
Infected people can develop flu-like symptoms, fever, joint pain and difficulty breathing.
(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)