Weber State goes down in'cat' fight against Montana State

Weber State goes down in'cat' fight against Montana State

Save Story

Estimated read time: 3-4 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

OGDEN -- On a partly cloudy day in Ogden, the Weber State Wildcats got tamed by the Montana State Bobcats 26-21.

Problems in the red zone, mistake after mistake and questionable play calling at the end are all to blame, but Weber State head coach Ron McBride said to criticize him, not the other coaches or the players.

"I am the head coach. I make the final decision. It's on me," said McBride. "I am not going to criticize anyone because it's not their fault. We had our issues in the red zone. We turned the ball over four times, three of which were in the red zone. When you make mistakes like that, you aren't going to win a lot of games."

Weber State had the ball in the red zone seven times, three of which were successful. An interception by Wildcat safety Jordan Brown opened the door for kicker Mike Snoy to make a 26-yard field goal, giving WSU an early 3-0 lead.

Montana State marched down the field on an eight-play, 78 yard drive to take the lead at 7-3. Weber State quarterback Cameron Higgins then threw the first of three interceptions on the day and it sure didn't take long for the Bobcats to capitalize. Aaron Mason punched it in for the Bobcats from one yard out and Montana State took a commanding 14-3 lead.

In the closing minutes of the first quarter, Mike Snoy added a 32-yard field goal and then, just seconds later, WSU defensive end Kevin Linehan added a safety to get the ‘Cats back in the game at 14-8. The two teams traded possessions up until just over a minute before halftime. That is when Higgins connected with wide receiver Mike Phillips on a 68-yard bomb for a touchdown. Snoy added the extra point and the Wildcats held the halftime lead 15-14.

The Bobcats struck first in the third quarter when Mason once again punched it in from the one yard line for six. Montana State was unable to get the extra point through the uprights, so the score went back in favor of the Bobcats 20-15. With nine seconds left in the third quarter Higgins hooked up with Phillips again on a 16-yard touchdown pass. The Wildcats tried a 2-point conversion but were stuffed, so going into the fourth quarter the ‘Cats held the lead by one at 21-20.

Not very deep into the fourth quarter Montana State's CJ Palmer ran it in from six yards out, the extra point was missed, but the Bobcats regained the lead at 26-21. The game came down to the final three minutes and a matter of a couple of yards. The ‘Cats had four opportunities from the six yard line and just couldn't get it across the goal line. They turned the ball over on downs and Montana State took a knee, ran out the time and escaped Ogden with the 26-21 victory.

Next up for the Wildcats is a trip to Cheney, Washington to take on the Eastern Washington Eagles. The Eagles are 3-0 in Big Sky Conference play. The loss drops Weber State to 2-1 in conference play. Next week's kickoff is scheduled for 3:35 p.m. inside Woodward Stadium.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast