Baby in critical condition after swallowing small piece of metal

Baby in critical condition after swallowing small piece of metal

Save Story
Leer en espaƱol

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

OREM -- A 9-month old infant is in critical condition at Primary Children's Hospital after the boy found a piece of metal on the floor at home and swallowed it.

Lt. Gary Downey, with the Orem Department of Public Safety, says the boy was found unresponsive and not breathing. 911 was called at about 9:30 Monday morning and paramedics rushed the boy to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center.

"They learned that the airway was obstructed by a small sharp object," said Downey.

The child was then transported to Primary Children's Medical Center.

"They performed surgery and removed a small, sharp object that had been aspirated into the child's airway," said Downey.

Police aren't sure what the piece of metal was or where it came from. They say it appears this was just an unfortunate accident.


Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Randall Jeppesen


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast