Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Lt. Gov. Gary Herbert has decided not to ask the state's Executive Water Task Force or any other state agency to look into the Logan canal, which came under scrutiny after a mudslide killed three people in their home earlier this month.
A spokeswoman for Herbert says there is no statute giving the state the authority to investigate.
Spokeswoman Angie Welling says that even though Herbert could order a probe, no one would have to participate in it. Herbert will become Utah's governor assuming the U.S. Senate confirms Gov. Jon Huntsman as U.S. ambassador to China.
The canal broke in the July 11 slide that killed a mother and her two children.
Information from: The Salt Lake Tribune
(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)