Not guilty plea in artifacts theft case threat

Not guilty plea in artifacts theft case threat

Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY -- A man accused of threatening the federal government's chief witness in a massive artifacts theft case has pleaded not guilty.

Charles Armstrong appeared in U.S. District Court on Thursday to answer to an indictment charging him with retaliating against a witness. During the brief appearance, he pleaded innocent to the charge.

A judge scheduled a Sept. 28 trial.

Armstrong, 44, is accused of threatening to harm the FBI's confidential source in the case that led to more than two dozen indictments and arrests of people suspected of trafficking in stolen relics from public and tribal lands in Utah's Four Corners area.

According to federal authorities, Armstrong threatened to tie the informant to a tree and beat him with a baseball bat.

The FBI has gone to some lengths to protect their informant, who wore a wire and recorded what federal prosecutors say was an illegal network of artifact thieves and dealers.

Two defendants, Jeanne Redd and her daughter, Jerrica, have struck plea deals with the U.S. Attorney's Office for Utah.

Jeanne Redd's husband, Dr. James Redd, committed suicide the day after being charged. Federal investigators have said Armstrong blamed the source for Redd's death.

Another defendant, Stephen Shrader, also killed himself.


Related stories

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Ben Winslow


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast