Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes
OGDEN -- A fast-moving fire forced 17 people to flee from their apartments.
The Ogden Fire Department said it happened about 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at 2561 Orchard Ave. By the time firefighters got on scene, flames could be seen coming from the rear of the structure.
"This is an older structure that has been converted to a multi-family dwelling with six apartments," the fire department said in a statement to KSL NewsRadio on Wednesday.
Firefighters said the blaze caused about $75,000 damage and displaced 17 people from their homes.
Resident Mauro Niebla was not a home when the fire started. His wife just gave birth to a baby girl, and they were at the hospital.
On Wednesday Niebla returned to look inside his apartment, hoping a few things will be salvageable.
"My computer -- brand new, I don't use it -- and clothes, new clothes for my new baby, the whole clothes inside," Niebla said.
For now, he, his wife and daughter, who were released from the hospital Wednesday afternoon, are staying with a cousin.
The Red Cross is also helping those who need shelter, food and clothing. For his part, the owner is opening up several apartments at another property for the residents to stay in.
As for the cause, the Standard Examiner reports witnesses saw kids playing with fireworks shortly before the blaze. Firefighters are not confirming that, saying it's still under investigation.