Malfunctioning flue may have caused CO poisoning

Save Story
Leer en EspaƱol

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

OGDEN, Utah (AP) -- A carbon monoxide leak that sent more than 44 factory employees to hospitals may have been caused by a malfunctioning flue, a company official says.

Vicki Slomka, chief human resource officer for Illinois-based Elkay Manufacturing says the conclusion is preliminary and that installation and inspection records for the equipment are being checked. She says Elkay West in Ogden will remain closed until the problem is identified and corrected.

A total of 46 employees of the sink manufacturing firm suffered illnesses after being exposed to lethal levels of carbon monoxide on Thursday.


Information from: Standard-Examiner

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Related stories

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast