Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
Four people suffered carbon monoxide poisoning at a West Jordan home which also is a preschool.
A relative came by the home near 3900 West and 7900 South at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday to drop off her children at the preschool. When no one answered the door or the phone, she went inside and found the family members still in their beds. The mother was unconscious, the father and two teens were in bad shape. She shook them out of their beds and got them outside while calling 911.
Neighbor Chris Marquez says she's worried about them. "It's scary. (They are a) really nice family. That's what makes it so sad. And all the poor little kids that she watches, all the kids just love her," she said.
Firefighters say the home's furnace wasn't vented properly. They tell the Deseret News the carbon monoxide levels inside the home were more than 400 parts per million. Any level of more than 50 parts per million warrants an immediate evacuation.
All four people are expected to be OK.