Fire damages Cottonwood Heights home

Save Story
Leer en espaƱol

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

(KSL News) A Cottonwood Heights family that was trying to heat their home ended up catching it on fire instead.

Battalion Chief Jeff Johnson with the Unified Fire Authority said, "We've had people using a fireplace for heat. The furnace has gone out. They've had a fire in the fireplace for several days."

But officials say something was wrong with the structure of that fireplace near 2000 East and 6700 South. Early this morning, it got too hot and eventually sent flames up the chimney and through the roof.

The homeowner climbed onto the roof and was able to put much of the fire out. Nobody was hurt.

Damage is estimated at $25,000.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast