Roads reopening after Friday morning SWAT situation in Salt Lake neighborhood

A large police presence shut roads near 400 North and Redwood Road in Salt Lake City Friday, Jan. 22, 2021.

(Derek Petersen, KSL TV)

Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY — Roads have reopened after police say a man barricaded themselves inside a home in a Salt Lake City neighborhood early Friday morning.

Just before 9:30 a.m., the man surrendered to police and was taken into custody without further incident, according to Salt Lake City police. He was identified Friday afternoon as Jacob Mills, 32.

Roads reopened in the area shortly after Mills was taken into custody, police said.

About 2:30 a.m., police got a call of a fight between two people near 400 North and Redwood Road. Mills allegedly assaulted the other person and then barricaded himself inside an RV, police said. The injuries to the other person weren't life-threatening.

Salt Lake City police and a SWAT team then responded to the area about 4:40 a.m. At 7:30 a.m., the SWAT team, as well as social workers and police negotiators, were still at the scene, according to a tweet from police.

There was no threat to the public, police said.

Contributing: Derek Petersen and Garna Mejia, KSL TV

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Linda Williams is's early morning web producer. She joined after many years at KSL TV. Linda graduated with a communications degree from Brigham Young University and now calls Idaho home.


Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast