News / Utah / 

Police procession brings fallen officer Nate Lyday home

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

OGDEN – Hundreds lined streets and participated in a police procession that brought the body of fallen Officer Nate Lyday back to Ogden.

No matter how hot it was outside Friday afternoon, Kortney Adams had to be here.

“It’s very uncomfortable but certainly not as uncomfortable as what he went through,” she said.

Adams is talking about Ogden police officer Nate Lyday, who was shot and killed in the line of duty Thursday after responding to a domestic violence call for help.

“I’m so heartbroken for them and I just need to show support for them, for Ogden and for the family,” said Adams.

That’s why she and thousands of other people lined Washington Boulevard in Ogden Friday.

They wanted to welcome Lyday back home.

A law enforcement escort brought Lyday from the state medical examiner’s office in Taylorsville to Ogden.

As it passed by, many people covered their hearts with their hand or saluted as a show of respect and honor.

“I mean, he was doing his job to protect the people. You know? Without hesitation,” said Gary Mlynarski.

Because Lyday died while doing his job, supporters figured the least they could do was welcome him home.

“Most of these people probably never even heard of him but are just coming together for him and his family and I think that’s really special,” said Riggs Blakeley.

“For us, this is our little to show what we can do to support the family and he gave his all for us,” said Taylor Adams.

Hundreds of patrol cars from agencies throughout Utah were part of the procession.

Traffic was stopped as the procession went through town.

Motorcade in Ogden welcoming fallen police officer Nate Lyday home. He was killed in the line of duty yesterday. His body is returning from the Medical Examiner’s Office in Taylorsville to an Ogden mortuary.

Posted by KSL 5 TV on Friday, May 29, 2020

It went past the Ogden Police Department before heading to Lindquist Mortuary, where Lyday’s body was brought inside to prepare for his funeral.

Officers said they noticed the support and they thank people for coming out.

No matter how hot it was.

“To see the outpouring of support, there’s nothing like it,” said Lt. Jake Sube with the Ogden Police Department. “Our community here in Ogden and across the state is phenomenal.”

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Alex Cabrero


Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast