Body camera video released of Salt Lake police shooting

Body camera video released of Salt Lake police shooting

(Salt Lake County Sheriff's Office)

Save Story

Estimated read time: 4-5 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY — Moments after being shot by a Salt Lake City police officer, Tyler Keaton Webster stopped trying to flee from police and asked for their help.

“Help me, please, I’m done. Please help me,” Webster said while yelling in pain.

On Thursday, Salt Lake police released body camera video from the two officers involved in a Jan. 8 shooting that started with an investigation of a stolen vehicle.

On that day, police say Webster arranged to meet with a man who was selling his red and black Mustang GT online. He arrived at a designated meeting place in downtown Salt Lake with a second man.

“Webster asked to take the vehicle for a test drive, to which (the victim) agreed but would not allow Webster and the male to take his vehicle without (the victim) being present,” a police affidavit states.

After taking the car for a test drive, the victim and the second man began looking under the hood while the engine was still running. That’s when Webster jumped into the driver’s seat and drove off, the affidavit states.

Two Salt Lake City police officers riding in the same patrol car spotted the stolen car just two minutes later near 1460 W. North Temple.

“We have it,” an officer is heard telling dispatchers in a recording released Thursday.

“The officers activated their overhead red-and-blue lights, presenting a visual command to stop and came nose to nose with the vehicle Webster had just taken. Webster attempted to flee from the officers by reversing away from them,” the affidavit states.

But before the dispatcher can finish telling others officers what is happening, the officer comes back on his police and radio and says: “We’re at gunpoint.”

One officer can be heard on his body camera recording screaming repeatedly for the driver to “get out of the car” and “stop” as he approaches the driver’s side door at gunpoint, the video revealed, but Webster continues to rev the car’s engine.

Webster’s erratic driving placed one officer at risk of being crushed by a metal guard rail directly next to the vehicle.

–the affidavit

The other officer approached the passenger side door and found himself between the car and a guard rail along the curb. The officer attempted to use his Taser, but it was ineffective. As the car is put into reverse again and goes over the curb, at least four shots are fired, the recording shows.

The officer who fired the shots turned his body camera on much later than his partner. While one video records the officer’s actions for the entire incident, the body camera of the officer who fired the shots began recording just nine seconds prior to the shooting. The officer’s discarded Taser wires can be seen just before the car goes into reverse and shots are fired.

After the shooting, that officer is heard yelling to Webster to get out of the car while still holding him at gunpoint. Webster can be heard screaming in pain.

“Shots fired,” the officer tells dispatchers. “Officers are fine. He’s trying to run into officers.”

As the officers continue to order Webster to show his hands, Webster repeatedly responded that he is “paralyzed” and can’t move.

“Im paralyzed dude, my legs,” Webster said.

“You were dragging me with your car, man,” the officer responded.

“I didn’t know….I’m sorry.”

According to a police affidavit, “Webster’s erratic driving placed one officer at risk of being crushed by a metal guard rail directly next to the vehicle.”


Webster, 20, of Park City, was treated at a local hospital and transferred to the Salt Lake County Jail on Jan. 13 for investigation of two counts of assault on a police officer, robbery, car theft and failing to stop at the command of an officer,

The Unified Police Department is conducting the investigation into the officer-involved shooting. The second man who was with Webster when he arranged to look at the Mustang was not arrested.

Webster has a history of stealing cars, according to court records.

On Jan. 17, Webster was charged in 3rd District Court with theft, a second-degree felony, for a similar crime. In that case, Webster contacted a West Jordan man selling his Pontiac Grand Prix online on Dec. 31. Webster asked to take the car for a test drive, according to charging documents. But while the car owner was locking the door to his house, Webster drove off, the charges state.

The shooting happened a day after Webster was arrested in Wasatch County for investigation of assault for allegedly hitting his girlfriend and breaking her car windshield, according to a police affidavit.

It also comes less than a month after Webster received a suspended one-to-15-year sentence in the Utah State Prison and was ordered to serve three years of probation for being in possession of another stolen car, according to court documents.

In November he was arrested again for investigation of theft of a vehicle, according to police records. In July he was convicted of forgery. He was convicted of unlawful sexual activity with a minor when he was 18, according to court records.

Related stories

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Pat Reavy is a longtime police and courts reporter. He joined the team in 2021, after many years of reporting at the Deseret News and KSL NewsRadio before that.


Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast