News / Utah / 

Man shot by Salt Lake police moved from hospital to jail

Man shot by Salt Lake police moved from hospital to jail

(Salt Lake County Sheriff's Office)

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY — A West Valley man who was shot by Salt Lake police a week ago has been moved from the hospital to the Salt Lake County Jail.

Tyler Keaton Webster, 20, was booked Monday for investigation of two counts of assault on an officer, robbery, stealing gas from a car and failing to stop at the command of an officer.

On Jan. 8, police say Webster responded to an ad on Facebook Marketplace from a person who was selling a car. The victim drove his car from Ogden to Salt Lake City where he met Webster and a second man.

“Webster asked to take the vehicle for a test drive, to which (the victim) agreed but would not allow Webster and the male to take his vehicle without (the victim) being present,” a police affidavit states.

After taking the car for a test drive, the victim and Webster’s associate began looking under the hood while the engine was still running. That’s when Webster jumped into the driver's seat and drove off, the affidavit states.

The second man claimed he didn’t know Webster and ran away, according to police. It was unclear Tuesday whether that man was arrested.

Webster drove a few blocks, stopped and closed the hood, then continued south on 1460 West, the report states. About that same time, two Salt Lake police officers in the same car turned north onto 1460 West off of North Temple.

“The officers activated their overhead red and blue lights, presenting a visual command to stop and came nose to nose with the vehicle Webster had just taken. Webster attempted to flee from the officers by reversing away from them, the affidavit states.

The stolen vehicle reversed over a curb onto the sidewalk, and appeared to hit a fence or guard rail. During that time, the officers got out of their car. It was at that point, that Webster allegedly tried to drive forward again.

Webster's erratic driving placed one officer at risk of being crushed by a metal guard rail directly next to the vehicle.


“Webster’s erratic driving placed one officer at risk of being crushed by a metal guard rail directly next to the vehicle,” police wrote.

Webster was shot by one of the officers and taken to a local hospital. The Salt Lake City Police Department is expected to release body camera video sometime next week, as per the city’s ordinance. The Unified Police Department is handling the officer-involved critical incident investigation.

The incident happened a day after Webster was arrested in Wasatch County for investigation of assault for allegedly hitting his girlfriend and breaking her car windshield, according to a police affidavit.

It also comes less than a month after Webster received a suspended one-to-15-year sentence in the Utah State Prison and was ordered to serve three years of probation for being in possession of another stolen car, according to court documents.

In November he was arrested again for investigation of theft of a vehicle, according to police records. In July he was convicted of forgery. He was convicted of unlawful sexual activity with a minor when he was 18, according to court records.


Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast