Police: 1 in custody, no injuries after shooting at Millcreek apartment complex

Police: 1 in custody, no injuries after shooting at Millcreek apartment complex

(Sean Moody, KSL TV)

3 photos
Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

MILLCREEK — A man is in custody Thursday after an early-morning shooting in Millcreek, police said.

No one was injured in the shooting, which took place just after 3:30 a.m. near 3098 S. Highland Drive, according to police.

Officers arrived on scene and believed they were dealing with an active shooter situation; but a short time later, a woman came out of the apartment the man was in, Unified Police Sgt. Melody Gray said. The man came out of the apartment some time after she did and was taken into custody, Gray added.

As of 5 a.m., there was no danger to residents in the area, Gray said. The woman was not injured, she added.

The man was later identified as Alexander Peace, 26, of Millcreek, according to a tweet from Unified police.

He was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on Thursday for investigation of assault against a police officer, aggravated assault, felony discharge of a firearm and use or possession of drug paraphernalia, according to jail booking records.

Police believe Peace was intoxicated on some type of substance and thought he was shooting at someone or something, according to Gray. Peace fired "numerous rounds," she added.

"A really bad situation that could have been incredibly tragic, but luckily no injuries, no one hurt," Gray said. "We have some property damage and that's the extent of it."

Some residents of nearby apartments were evacuated, and others were asked to shelter in place, she said.

Gray did not know the relationship between Peace and the woman, but said police were not treating the shooting as a domestic violence call.

A SWAT team and multiple other agencies were called in to help, Gray said, including Murray police and West Valley City police. Several roads in the area were closed while police responded to the scene, but have since been reopened.

Contributing: Felicia Martinez and Sean Moody, KSL TV


Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast