Steelers QB Rudolph will return as starter after concussion



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Looks like "Duck Season" will last just a week for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Wednesday that Mason Rudolph will return to the starting lineup when he is cleared to return from a concussion sustained against Baltimore on Oct. 6. Rookie Devlin "Duck" Hodges filled in nicely for Rudolph during a 24-17 win over the Los Angeles Chargers last week, but Tomlin didn't hesitate when asked if Rudolph will play once he's available.

"(Rudolph) is our quarterback when he clears the protocol and it's as simple as that," Tomlin said. "Appreciate the efforts of 'Duck' and so forth, but as soon as (Rudolph) is ready to go, he's ready to go."

Rudolph left in the third quarter of an overtime loss to Baltimore on Oct. 6 when he was knocked unconscious after taking a shot to the head by Ravens safety Earl Thomas. He recovered in time to practice in a limited capacity next week but was inactive for the Steelers in Los Angeles. Pittsburgh is off this week and doesn't play again until hosting Miami on Monday, Oct. 28.

___

More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/NFL and https://twitter.com/AP_NFL

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast