News / Utah / 

Yevhen Prozhyrko, Shutterstock

Car chase in West Valley City concludes in South Salt Lake field

By Jen Riess, | Posted - Sep. 21, 2019 at 8:08 a.m.

SOUTH SALT LAKE — An attempt to locate a vehicle in West Valley City turned into a pursuit that ended in South Salt Lake early Saturday morning.

West Valley Police Sgt. Robert Brinton said it all started Friday night when Utah Highway Patrol had attempted to stop a Honda Civic. The driver and two passengers fled the scene.

UHP sent out a description of the vehicle with the license plate number. Several hours later, A West Valley police officer was patrolling an area in West Valley City and identified the vehicle and called for assistance.

The officer attempted to make a traffic stop, but the driver continued and the pursuit was initiated at 4700 South and Bangerter Highway at around 4 a.m., Brinton said.

Due to the time, Brinton said the low traffic allowed the West Valley Police Department to continue the pursuit through Taylorsville, Salt Lake City and South Salt Lake.

Other agencies were called to assist in blocking intersections throughout the pursuit. Unified police were able to spike the vehicle to reduce its speed, according to Brinton.

"I think the driver ended up getting probably lost," Brinton said. "He was kinda going through some back alleys, ended up going through someone's yard and some type of field which was pretty muddy."

The chase ultimately ended when the driver reached a dead end in a field at 154 W. Gregorson in South Salt Lake. The driver unsuccessfully attempted to drive through a chain-link fence. Both the driver and the passengers cooperated with officials after that.

The two men and a woman were described as being between 18 and 26 years old. All three were taken into custody.

Police said the driver could face several charges in connection with the pursuit.

"We initially didn't have anything on the passengers, but after running a check on them they had several outstanding warrants," Brinton said. "So they also went to jail on their warrants."

The car was identified as stolen in Murray and was returned to the owner.

"No injuries just a little bit of minor damage to the victim's vehicle and a couple of hot engines from the police cars," Brinton said.

Jen Riess

KSL Weather Forecast