Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
BRASILIA, Brazil (AP) — Attorneys for Brazilian soccer star Neymar are disputing allegations they had asked for a meeting to discuss a settlement with representatives of a woman who later filed a rape complaint.
The legal team issued a statement Wednesday saying it was the unidentified woman's attorneys who sought the May 29 meeting, in which no agreement was reached. Those attorneys had asserted the request came from Neymar's lawyers.
Her initial legal team says her first complaint had been of "aggression," or "physical violence." She filed more serious complaint of rape against Neymar on Friday in Sao Paulo
Neymar says he had two encounters with the accuser in France, but denies any wrongdoing.
The woman has since changed attorneys.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.