News / Utah / 

Steve Griffin, KSL

Father, 9-year-old son killed in Provo farm fire

By Pat Reavy and Ashley Imlay, KSL | Updated - Nov. 12, 2018 at 6:48 p.m. | Posted - Nov. 12, 2018 at 6:29 a.m.

26 photos

Show 2 more videos

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

PROVO — A father and son were found dead Monday following a large fire at a Utah County farm.

Firefighters were called to the Finch Family Farm at 2470 W. 358 South about 1:30 a.m., officials said, and found multiple buildings on fire.

When firefighters arrived, they received reports that people might be trapped inside the barn, said Provo Fire Capt. Dean York, because the vehicle of a family that often visited the farm was on the property.

The farm is mostly used for rental space where people keep their animals, York said.

The remains of two people were found later in the morning.

Officials have yet to identify the two people who were killed in the fire pending positive identification from a medical examiner. However, family members identified them as a father and son, Marcos Sierra and 9-year-old Marcos Sierra Jr.

"They both were so united and never were separated no matter what. This is very hard for our family," a relative wrote on a GoFundMe page for the family.

The Sierras reportedly rented space at the farm for their chickens.

"It appears they had gone in there and decided to spend the night and had put a padlock on the inside (of) the door. Whether if that was for security, I am not sure why. I am not sure if they woke up at all. Certainly there are not smoke detectors in horse stalls and that is where they perished, sadly," York said.

Several large and small animals — including many chickens, several goats and at least nine horses — also perished in the fire, York said. Some animals had to be put down by police.

"I woke up at about 1:30 and looked out the window," said Preston Arnoldsen, a relative of the owners of Finch Family Farm. "We started pulling some trailers and things away from the flames, and stalls were engulfed. And the flames were climbing 50, 60 feet high."

The fire was under control by 5 a.m. After the fire, Provo Fire and Rescue officials asked nearby residents to be on the lookout for goats and horses that got away.

Other animals were uninjured and remained at the farm, as some buildings on the property were undamaged, York said.

In addition, one firefighter was injured after being hit in the face by the nozzle from a hose, according to Provo Fire and Rescue. He was taken to a local hospital as a precaution.

Officials Monday were investigating the cause of the fire but said it appeared accidental.

York said there were extension cords and a Bunsen burner inside the shed where the father and son were found, but the cause of the fire remains undetermined.

In light of the fatal fire, York encouraged people to check for fire hazards in their homes now that the weather is cooling.

Contributing: Sam Penrod


Pat Reavy
Ashley Imlay

KSL Weather Forecast