News / Utah / 

Google Maps

2 restaurants closed in Salt Lake County due to health code violations this week

By Jacob Klopfenstein, KSL.com | Posted - Aug 10th, 2018 @ 9:10pm



SALT LAKE CITY — Two restaurants in Salt Lake County were temporarily closed over the past week due to health code violations.

Salt Lake County health officials estimate that about 50 restaurants, or about one per week, have their permits suspended each year, often leading to closures.

Health officials suspend restaurant permits if they see an imminent public health threat, according to Salt Lake County Health Department spokesman Nicholas Rupp. That could be due to one severe violation or an accumulation of multiple issues.

Here are the two restaurants that were temporarily shut down this week in Salt Lake County. You can view more details about restaurant closures the Salt Lake County Health Department website at slco.org/health/food-protection/closures.

Sage Market

1515 S. Main Street, Salt Lake City

Closed Aug. 9, not reopened as of Friday

Japanese grocery and restaurant Sage Market was closed Thursday due to 18 different violations, including live cockroaches in the store, according to a health department report.

Dead cockroaches also had not been removed from the facility, and cockroach spray was being stored in a food preparation area, the report said. Some food items also were not being cooled properly, according to the report.

Health inspectors also found holes in the wall and dirty surfaces in various areas at the store. Other violations included toilet room doors not self-closing, faucets leaking and the soap dispenser in the kitchen not working, the report states.

McDonald’s

3890 S. 1100 East, Salt Lake City

Closed Aug. 7, reopened Aug. 8

Ten health violations forced the temporary closure of the McDonald’s on Salt Lake City’s south side this week.

Those violations included employees not washing their hands for the required 20 seconds, and an employee not washing hands after touching their nose and face, according to a health report.

Health officials also found that there was no cold water available at sinks in the restaurant’s kitchen, so the water was too hot for employees to adequately wash their hands, the report states.

Officials also found damaged gaskets on a refrigerator and damaged ceiling surfaces in the restaurant. Some single-service items, such as utensils and straws, also were stored on the floor, according to the health report.

Jacob Klopfenstein

KSL Weather Forecast