Man accused of ramming into patrol vehicle during chase taken into custody

4 photos
Save Story

Show 2 more videos

Leer en Español

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

UPDATE: West Valley police confirmed late Wednesday on Twitter that Todd Jason Pace was taken into custody.

UPDATE: we’ve arrested fugitive Todd Pace who rammed a police car on 3/6, then fled. Pace was found at a home within line of sight of WVCPD. Pace surrendered after about 20 min. Excellent work by our Strategic Operations Section getting a felon wanted in 2 states off the street! — WVC Police (@WVCPD) March 8, 2018

- - - - - -

WEST VALLEY CITY — A wanted fugitive with a history of fleeing from police hit a patrol car and led officers on yet another chase late Tuesday, according to West Valley police.

About 11:30 p.m. Tuesday, a West Valley police officer spotted Todd Jason Pace, 32, of West Valley City, in the parking lot of Embassy Suites, 3524 S. Market St., said West Valley police spokeswoman Roxeanne Vainuku.

Pace, a wanted fugitive, was seen getting into a Chevrolet TrailBlazer that was later determined to be stolen, she said.

The hotel is across the street from the West Valley City Police Department. As officers got into position to take Pace into custody, he accelerated out of the parking lot at a high rate of speed, hitting a patrol car on his way out, Vainuku said.

No one was injured, and the police vehicle suffered minor damage, she said.

Officers twice deployed tire spikes, but the fleeing SUV kept going along 3500 South, Vainuku said. After the SUV ran a red light, police called off the pursuit due to public safety concerns.

A short time later, the stolen SUV was found abandoned near 5740 W. Quail Circle (2200 West), where it had crashed into a parked vehicle, Vainuku said.

Officers set up a containment in the area, using police K-9s and a Department of Public Safety helicopter, but Pace was not located.

In June, Pace was charged with felony drug distribution and failing to stop for law enforcement after leading officers on another chase, according to court documents. When he was arrested, police found Pace was carrying heroin and methamphetamine, the charges state.

A warrant was issued for his arrest in that case in September for failing to show up for court.

In 2004, Pace was convicted of felony theft, according to court records.


Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Pat Reavy is a longtime police and courts reporter. He joined the team in 2021, after many years of reporting at the Deseret News and KSL NewsRadio before that.


Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast