Councilman accused of making obscene call pleads not guilty



Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

NEWPORT, R.I. (AP) — A Rhode Island city councilman charged with making an obscene phone call to a 13-year-old boy he says was sending sexual messages to his daughter has pleaded not guilty.

Newport Councilman John Florez was arraigned in Newport District Court on Wednesday and was released on his own recognizance. Florez says he was trying to protect his 13-year-old daughter from a boy sending aggressive and sexual messages.

The member of the non-partisan council says he repeatedly told the boy to stop sending the messages and contends he never threatened the boy with harm.

The councilman previously announced he was resigning for business reasons.

Florez on Dec. 4 obtained a temporary restraining order that prevents the boy from contacting his daughter.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast